- Just 11.871 bricks-and-mortar pharmacies might remain in Germany in 10 years’ time, our analysis shows. The drivers for this, in addition to e-prescriptions, are digitisation across all age groups, the (automated) issuing of follow-up prescriptions by online pharmacies and the professionalisation of online pharmacies, in particular faster delivery of medicines (same-day & next-day delivery).
- Half of consumers would fill an e-prescription online, although only 1.5% do so at present, and more than 70% had not heard of e-prescriptions before the survey. The result would be an extra € 23.3 billion in online Rx sales per year if patients changed their behaviour accordingly.
- 86.4% of pharmacists fear the loss of customers to foreign mail-order pharmacies with the introduction of e-prescriptions. Our forecast shows a potentially realistic market shift of more than € 5.0 billion in Rx sales from bricks-and-mortar to online.
- 92% of manufacturers see great potential for their OTC business in online pharmacies. 80% of manufacturers expect that the introduction of e-prescriptions will increase the online Rx share, and another 68% expect the introduction of e-prescriptions to increase the online OTC share.
- More than 5,000 consumers, hundreds of manufacturers and pharmacists as well as selected experts were interviewed for the study. This was supplemented by the know-how of the market-leading Dr. Kaske team.
Download our brand new e-prescription study 2019 for free now!
Here you can download the german-version.